Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Summer Is for Reading

I love summer vacation for lots of reasons.  But the biggest reason is reduced-guilt reading.  I can't say "guilt free" and here's why:

It's 2:59 pm, Central (Daylight Savings) Time.  I've been awake since 6:30.  So far today I've

Finished a 512-page novel that I started last night at 5 pm.

Downloaded two new books to my e-reader.

Caught up on some blogs I regularly read (which precipitated one of the e-reader purchases--thanks, Jamie).

Texted my dear friend about "doing likewise" and reading the book with me.

Vowed to just read the Acknowledgments and Introduction of the new book and then "get busy getting something done" but wound up reading the first two chapters.

Checked Facebook.

Read some email.

Perused front page of The Wall Street Journal.

Calculated how much money I'm going to owe Small Son by the end of the summer at the rate he's reading (I offered to pay my children a dollar for every 100 pages they read--I am not above bribing my children to exercise their brains--or join me in my obsessions).

Here's what I haven't done:

Much of anything else.  Well, there was a minor incident involving keys and a car and a teen-aged daughter and a locksmith that took some time, but that's another post.

So...when Better Half gets home tonight, not-so-subtly looks around the house, and asks in that trying-to-sound-casual way, "So...what did you do today?"

I'm only gonna have myself to blame...

Author's Note--Small Son just walked in from hanging out at a friend's house with two borrowed books in his hands.
Me:  New reading material?
He: Yup.  Four dollars worth.






No comments:

Post a Comment