Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Random Ramblings

I have a million thoughts going through my head.  For those of you who are now just a tiny bit worried, this is different than a million voices going through my head.  I know.  I've got a doctor's note.  :o)

But none of these thoughts are substantial enough to warrant an entire blog post.  So here they are, because "we're better together":

1.  First and foremost:  It's 9:08pm.  Can I legitimately go to bed yet?  This thought hits my brain around 4 pm EVERY. DAY.  Along with thoughts of...Is that a headache?  I think I feel a headache coming on.  That's gotta be good for an 8pm bedtime at least...

2.  I made my own ground mustard today.  Yeah.  That sounds really amazing, but actually it isn't.  I was out of ground mustard, and I was too lazy frugal to go to the store for it.  So I pulverized mustard seeds in the coffee grinder.  Worked like a charm.  Except that the next person who grinds coffee beans is gonna get a little bit of a mustard bite along with their Sam's Choice Free-Trade Espresso Blend.  Sorry, Better Half!

3.  Speaking of frugal--I'm on a money-saving kick these days.  It means I'm doing things like shopping at Aldi (where I found avocados for $0.39 a piece and hormone-free milk--I LOVE you, Aldi), and washing out Zip-Lok bags and re-using tin foil. I do wash out Zip-Lok bags regularly, but I've taken this to a new level.  ANY bag with a zippered seal is getting washed to be reused.  So if you dig in my fridge, those may not be dried apricots.  That may not be shredded mozzarella cheese. Just giving you a heads-up.  And if I bring you some food item and the foil on the top is REALLY crinkly, I washed it first, I promise.  :o)

4.  I SUCK at CrossFit.  I know this because not only do I need a step-by-flippin'-step instruction guide--with pictures--for each and every weight-lift every time (even if I just did whatever we're doing two days ago),  I apparently don't understand what to do if I can't actually lift the thirty pound bar stupid thing and it falls--today it landed on my shins.  I have since been instructed that if the bar is falling forward, throw it forward...etc. Makes perfect sense.  But I'm pretty sure that if I have enough control of the stupid thing to know which direction it's going, I should be able to get it into whatever position it's supposed to be in in the first place.  Ugh.  I now know why running is my primary form of exercise.  One. Foot. In. Front. Of. The. Other.  That's all I'm good for. Truly.

5. Speaking of injured shins--last week, a couple of my seasoned CrossFit friends were showing off their bruises and telling me what I have to look forward to.  I think you jinxed me, ladies. By tomorrow, I'll have a matching set of doozies to show you!

6.  Handstand Pushups???  What drunk idiot even THOUGHT to do that?  Come on.  Really?  What self-respecting adult does a handstand against a wall and then says, "Dude, Biff.  Watch this!  Watch me put my forehead on this filthy floor, my disgusting feet on this wall, and then push myself up with my brute strength."   Okay.  Done thinking  about CrossFit.  Until Friday at 5:15am...

7.  While we're on athletics, my kids got the athlete gene.  The one that skipped me.  Oldest son and his baseball team won their baseball tournament after five games and triple-digit temperatures and baseball dugouts designed for Alaskan baseball players.  They trapped some serious heat!  Youngest son is turning into quite a pitcher, and the Mermaid shaved 12 seconds off of her IM (individual medley--read: crazy race) time at her last meet.

8.  This is the summer of laundry.  I wash towels.  And baseball uniforms.  And more towels.  And more baseball uniforms.

9.  Dear Friend's beautiful baby gets more yummy every single day.  Today she snuggled in and let me hold her while she napped for two hours.  Dear Friend and I drank coffee and chatted and stared at her baby. It was perfect! WHAT on EARTH did we do together before that fabulous baby arrived?

10.  It's hot.  I mean "Death Valley" kind of hot.  We have some friends who live a stone's throw from Death Valley.  They are visiting this week.  The week that it's only 4 degrees cooler here than it would be there and the humidity is 18% higher.  Sorry, friends.

And now, folks, it's 10:41.

I can legitimately go to bed without feeling like a loser.

Sweet dreams to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment