Sunday, August 18, 2013

Why Not

Last week I went to this bookstore with my mom.

And I bought a book (Notice the use of the article adjective "a." This fact alone is blog-worthy. Usually that sentence has adjectives like "some," "several," "too many.").

The book is called "Juicy Pens Thirsty Paper: Gifting the World with Your Words and Stories and Creating the Time and Energy to Actually Do It."

Two things drew me to this book to the point that it actually came home with me instead of an image of it merely occupying space in the camera roll on my phone.

The first thing about it was its beauty--bright and colorful. It reminded me of these big desk calendars that my roommate in college used to use to keep track of her classes, assignments, and schedules. I think she used those skinny Crayola markers and everything was color-coded in her impeccable handwriting. I tried to duplicate this practice many times. Mine were never as pretty as hers.

The second thing that drew me to it was the phrase, "Gifting the world with your words and stories." For those of you who know me, that sentence needs no further explanation. For those of you who don't, suffice it to say that I like words. And stories. :o)

So toward the middle of this book is a section called, "Games, Stories, and Ways to get Your Juicy Pen Moving Like Crazy."

And I thought, what better place to work through some of these than this blog? Especially when I feel like I really don't have anything interesting or funny to write about.

The first activity is "Make a Fast List of the Reasons You Don't Feel Like Writing"

So here goes:

1. I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said before and way better than I could say it.
2. I'm a mom. The unique stories that I do have are many times about my children. Now that they are older, it's harder to use them as subjects for my writing. I want to respect their privacy.
3. I feel guilty when I write because there is other, more important stuff that I should be doing. Like laundry, cleaning toilets, and making lunch.
4. I feel like I whine. A lot.
5. And complain. A lot.
6. Even though I say that I write for me, I really am afraid that no one will read what I write.
7. And if by chance they do, they won't like what they read.
8. My posts are too long. Or too short.
9. I use too many commas.
10. I'll hit "publish" and completely miss some horrifyingly embarrassing spelling error.

No comments:

Post a Comment