Friday, August 30, 2013

I'm Sorry

Dear Parent Who Arrives 20-30 Minutes Early to Pick Up Your Kid from School Every Day,

I used to occasionally see you parked outside of your child's school building.

Mind you, I always glimpsed you when I was dashing around, trying to get that one last thing done before I had to grab my brood. I never encountered you because I was also that early. Ever.

Occasionally, I would envy your fantastic parking spot. Your impeccable organization that made it possible for this to be a regular occurrence for you--not just something that happened by random accident on the Monday after "fall back" Sunday because you forgot to change your car clock.

But mostly I judged you. I wondered why you didn't have anything better to do with your time. I thought maybe you needed to get a job. Volunteer. Cut the apron strings. Let Precious Junior-kins walk (gasp!!) a few car-lengths or maybe even a block to your car.

Well, I owe you the most sincere apology.

Now I am you.

Here I sit, 30 minutes before school dismisses, in front of my son's school. Parked underneath the ONLY shade tree on the street.

I have no idea what your reasons are for doing it this way, but I can tell you mine:

1. The student body of this school is BIG. Close to 2,000. That's a LOT of parents in a lot of cars on streets that aren't very big. So I can either arrive early, or get a "spot" that's no closer than my driveway (a good mile from the school).

2. It's been HOT here. Like triple digits, hot. And as cool as palm trees are, that tall skinny trunk and tiny puff of leaves at the top doesn't offer a whole lot of shade. I've made it my goal to get the shade spot. Yeah. I'm a wuss. But the best part of this place is supposed to be the weather. And so far it feels exactly like Kansas in August. California, you disappoint.

3. As soon as I drop my kids off for school in the morning, I am counting the hours until I can pick them up. I miss them. I worry about them. I want to be with them. I can't wait to see them. It truly is the best part of my day, and I want it to start as soon as is humanly possible.

Even if that means being "that mom," sitting in my "regular" spot at 1:45 every afternoon, reading a book, being pitied and judged by everyone else who has a life here.

Yes. I probably need to get a job. Volunteer. Cut the apron strings. But not today. Probably not by next Friday.

And when I see you in your regular spot doing the same thing, I'll smile and wave.

Solidarity, Sister!!

Sincerely,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment