Tuesday, March 12, 2013

So...How Was It? Day 2 (Better Half's Apartment)

I just made my list of all of the things that I need to get done before the kids and I head out to SoCal on Friday for Spring Break.

This reminded me that I should probably finish posting about my trip out there almost a month ago.

So sorry for the delay. Here goes:

Better half lives in a nice, one bedroom apartment about 30 minutes or so from where he works. Its only issue at all is that the water pressure in the shower sucks. And that's a hard one for me.

But I have to admit--it was very strange to be there.

It was strange to see items that lived in our kitchen here have new homes there. It was strange to ask, "Where do you keep your...skillet? cheese grater? ironing board? trashcan?"

It was strange to sit on a couch and put my feet on a coffee table and sleep in a bed that I didn't pick out, but that will all be in my next house.

Don't get me wrong. Better Half has excellent taste and I like what he chose. It's just weird that I didn't help pick out any of it.

It was weird to ask where things belong.

But the weirdest thing of all was to look around and see that there was nothing at all in that apartment that was mine. It was truly Better Half's apartment.

Our house here still has lots of things that are his. The closet is still half-full...his movies are in the cabinets...his books are on the shelves...his tools are in the garage. It still feels like he lives here.

But there is nothing of mine...or the kids'...in his apartment. We definitely don't live there.

I felt like a guest. Which was kind of nice...but also...very weird.

The day started very "normal" in spite of that, though.

We got up early so I could work (2 hour time difference), I made breakfast, and then he headed out to the office--hoping to go in early and get to come home early.

He came back upstairs 5 minutes later. Car wouldn't start. :o(

If there was any question about who has the drama juju in our family...I guess there isn't now. No car trouble whatsoever until I arrive on the scene.

So we added an impromptu three-mile walk to the rental car place to our morning plans. It was a gorgeous day, and I do believe that I will love the fact that I can take early morning walks in a tank top and capris in the middle of February.

Better Half got to drive a brand-new car for his birthday. :o) Well...sort of a car. It was a Chevy Spark, so really a brand-new golf cart.

He took me back to the house, where I worked from his lovely deck overlooking palm trees and mountains and he went to the office.

The car fiasco altered our plans a little bit for spending a leisurely afternoon together. We both worked longer than we'd expected and he tried to figure out what was wrong with the car.

But the evening ended on a lovely note. We celebrated his birthday at a fantastic Italian restaurant in Claremont, walked around their darling downtown, and then headed back to his apartment, where again...party animal that I am...I was asleep by 9.


No comments:

Post a Comment