Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dear Most Amazing Oldest Daughter~

I cannot believe it's here. Your eighteenth birthday. I remember holding you hours after your birth and calculating the year you would go to kindergarten. 2000. And I remember thinking, "It's never gonna be the year 2000!"

And then I blinked. And now it is 2013 and you are eighteen years old! The first of the big milestones that mark adulthood.

You can now register to vote. Enlist in the service. Make your own medical decisions. Buy a lottery ticket. Get a tattoo. :o) And the list goes on.

I remember when I held you that first day of your life and I remember thinking about all of the things I hoped for you.

I hoped you would grow up healthy. I hoped you would love books. I wanted you to have a happy childhood and know how much you were loved...and so on.

And as you begin this new journey that is adulthood, I still have hopes and dreams for you and for your life. And so I'm going to take this opportunity (you're not awake, yet...so in my eyes, you're still seventeen and you still have to listen to what I say :o) ) and share those with you.

~I hope you always know how amazing you are. And I hope you keep company with people who also know and value it.

~I hope you know how much you are loved by everyone in this family. That our family is supposed to have you as the firstborn. The oldest sister.

~I hope that your career path...however that unfolds...involves you getting to do things you love and that make you feel like you are making the world a little bit better of a place.

~I hope that you enjoy every season of adulthood, but always look forward to the next one with the mindset that "the best is yet to come."

~I hope you meet someone who believes that you are the most talented, beautiful, funny, enjoyable, etc. person they've ever met. And I hope you spend the rest of your life with that person.

~I hope you always use your artistic talents to bring joy to yourself and to others.

~I hope you, and those around you (including me :o) ) realize that God's plan for your life won't look like His plan for everyone else's. And that is totally okay.

~I hope someone, sometime, writes you a poem.

~I hope you travel to another country.

~I hope that when you think about your list of "best friends," Johanna is on that list. Mackenzie is at the top of mine. There is no friendship quite like sister friendship.

~I hope that you find your cause. The thing that inspires passion in you and gives you purpose. And I can't wait to see the way you make the world better when you find it.

~I hope that if you want it, you know the joy and fear and terror and awe that is holding your child in your arms for the first time.

~I hope you experience "eyes roll back in your head" sex. :o) (You're an adult now. I can say this stuff. :o) ) And I really hope you get to have it with your soul mate.

~I hope you realize that God loves you so much! And your relationship with Him doesn't have to look like anyone else's. I hope you figure out what it looks like for you guys much sooner than I will (I'm still trying to get it sorted out! :o) ).

~I hope you accomplish something that you once thought was impossible.

~I hope you do something just a little bit crazy just because you want to.

~I hope that when there are breakups (and there will be breakups) that you handle them with the style of Sara Bareilles (cue "Gonna Get Over You" and "King of Anything") and NOT Adele (cue "Someone Like You").

~I hope you think about the future, but live in the moment.

~I hope that you manage your finances in such a way that you have what you need and are generous with your excess.

~I hope you always find time to read for pleasure.

~I hope you know that "failure" is a part of life but it doesn't define your life. Don't be afraid of it.

~I hope you don't have one of those crazy, meddling mothers who won't keep her opinions and ideas and thoughts to herself unless she's specifically asked for them. :o)

~But most importantly, I hope you realize that it doesn't matter what my hopes and dreams are for your adult life. It only matters what yours are. And whatever they are...however the path unfolds, I hope you know that your dad and I are your biggest fans and your most ardent supporters. And we'll be cheering you on the entire way!

I love you,

Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment