Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Facebook Fad (or A Welcome Diversion from Holding a Paintbrush)

My father's wife recently tagged me in a new Facebook fad.

Actually, I'm not certain how recently I was tagged.  My adventures as Casey the Carpenter are seriously cutting into my Facebook-lurking time.  I could have been tagged weeks ago.

I'm also not sure how new the activity is.  I think I did it before--a few years ago.  So if this is a repeat, I apologize.

Anyway--the activity is this:

List 10 books that have stuck with/had an impact on me.

I've seen several of these go around--some say prose only--no poetry, graphic novels, or sacred scriptures.  All say not to over-think it.

The first part I can totally handle.  Except I fudged on #10.  But I snuck in two on #4.  So maybe I'll get partial credit.

Not so much the second.  I'm completely over-thinking it.

But in case you didn't know, I like books.  Just a little bit.  So I thought, "Sure.  I'll play."  and I also thought...

BLOG POST!!!

Unfortunately, this particular book does not come anywhere near making the cut.



Maybe if it had, I would not still be living in complete chaos, surrounded by sand paper, paint brushes, and a shop-vac--feeding my children convenience foods from Trader Joe's.  As long as the Pop-Tart is organic, it's totally healthy, right?

So here goes:

1.  Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever.  My earliest memories are of my mom and/or dad reading this to me before naps and bedtime.  I owe my love of reading--and writing-- largely in part to this daily ritual of which they were so faithful.

2.  The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss.  This is the first book that I read independently in its entirety.  My poor mother.  I followed her around the house for the better part of three days reading this out loud and asking her to tell me words I didn't know.  There are few demonstrations of unconditional love  or exercises in patience like listening to an emerging reader "share" his/her newly discovered skills with you.  It is also one of the most beautiful experiences in which to be a part.  So hug a kindergarten/first grade, teacher, para, or parent of a kindergarten/first grader.  They need it.  Especially with homework assignments like "Read out loud to someone in your family for 10 minutes every day."

3. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.  My dad read this aloud to me when I was in elementary school. And can I just say that my dad just might have the best read-aloud voice ever?  This is kid lit classic that's even more enjoyable when you re-read it as an adult.

4.  A Little Princess and The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.  My mom's childhood friend recommended these to me--even loaned me her beloved copies.  To this day, I still treasure book recommendations from this lady.

5.  To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  If you haven't yet read this, obtain a copy.  Today.

6.  The Chosen by Chaim Potok.  Same with this one.

8.  How Children Succeed:  Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough

9.  Pastrix:  The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint by Nadia Bolz-Weber.  I had never even heard of this lady until a few months ago, when my mom and I watched an interview she gave at the Wild Goose Festival.  If I lived in Denver, I would go to the church she pastors.  I would stalk this lady and do everything in my power to make her my friend.  This is the kind of lover of Jesus I want to be.  Without all of the tattoos.  Because I just can't do prolonged needles.  And no matter how much I work out, I'm never going to have her guns, so all of that beautiful art would be a total waste.

10.  The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church

I think I hear a paintbrush calling my name.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment