Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Joys of Home Ownership

This is what I used to have.

Okay.  Fine.  Not this exactly, but I didn't get to the basement fast enough to capture the one I did on film.  The guys from Jim's Plumbing work FAST.  But this is a pretty close approximation.

Our house was built in the late 50s.  The furnace was put in...wait for it...in the late 50s.  Now, I like vintage.  I like original.  I really do.  Until I hear things like:

You've NEVER had this thing serviced in the 11 years you've lived here?
This thing is never gonna pass any home inspection.
There's a hole.  It probably won't leak gas because, well, heat rises, but...
I can TRY to make something to cover it...but...
If you wait to replace it until a bank makes you for a loan (and they will), your cost is going to be twice what it will cost now because the efficiency codes are increasing to 90% in just a couple of months.
Really unsafe.
Every day you get with this is a gift.
Carbon Monoxide.

Now as of yesterday, I have this.

It's new.  It's shiny.  It's safe.  It's expensive.  I hope EVERYONE who comes to look at my house to buy it notices the new, shiny, safe, expensive furnace.  My utility bills better look nicer.  There better be less dust in my house.

Because now I don't have this.

My love affair with home ownership is So. Over.





No comments:

Post a Comment