Thursday, January 8, 2015

When Will I Use This in Real Life?

Welcome to Casey's first segment of "When Will I Use This in Real Life?"

Happy you could be here!!

I'm a teacher.  I've taught a range of grades, and I do believe that one of the rites of passage of for a teacher of grades 4 and up is to hear "When am I ever going to need to know how to do this?" after having spent countless hours to try to create a meaningful and engaging lesson on a less than thrilling topic.

So, during our time together, we will take a look at some of those pesky skills on which we still feel like we spent way too many hours working during those long-ago school days, and see how they are, indeed necessary (or at least beneficial) to "grownup" life.

Today's Skills:
Basic Computation and Reading Comprehension

"Grownup" Life Application:
The Gym

The Situation:
Failing to use the correct mathematical computation to figure the number of racked lunges to complete.  Subject, me, who shall remain nameless, mistakenly multiplied instead of divided to figure out how many to do on each leg.  (Basic Computation Error)  Even though 3 each leg was written in parentheses next to 6 Racked Lunges (Reading Comprehension Error).

Consequence of Error(s):

1.  A workout time and/or rounds completed score that leaves one discouraged at best and humiliated at worst.

2. Literally unable to sit for longer than ten minutes at a time the next day.

Don't be like this me.

Somehow, I graduated from college AND was granted a teaching certificate.

I suppose that in light of the above disclosure, I should maybe wait a few weeks before posting my thoughts on why teachers should not be the scapegoats for all the education troubles in America.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment