Friday, August 8, 2014

My, How Time Flies!

I could swear it happened yesterday.

It certainly feels like it did.  I remember it with that much clarity.

The day that they put him into my arms and I officially "met" him for the first time.  

I was terrified.  

I didn't know if I would have enough love for two.  

I'm a book-reading, introverted, not-at-all-athletic, well...girl.  

The child I had managed to keep alive for the two years prior to that point?  Girl.

I had serious doubts about my abilities to talk Hot Wheels or Transformers, play catch, or (let's just be real, here) sit through a sporting event of any kind.  

But as I held him that evening so long ago and looked at his sweet face, I realized there was more than enough love.   

I realized that whatever it was, if he loved it and was interested in it, I would love it and be interested in it too.

So now I know all about stuff like NASCAR.  

I can hold my own in a conversation about Orka whales.  Or I could when he was four.

I can still recite the entire dialogue of Toy Story and sing most of the Veggie Tales songs.

I now know that you can laugh so hard that you cry about things like farts and burps and underpants.  Not because you yourself think these things are funny, but because your child's belly laugh is so incredibly infectious.

I finally know the difference between a double and a double play.  

As well as the fact that an official is a "Ref" in football and an "Ump" or "Blue" in baseball.  

I know the indescribable joy coupled with the agonizing heartbreak of watching a tiny baby morph into a little boy and again into a young man before my very eyes.  

And again.  I can hardly believe it.  

Because when I think about this person who completely changed my life seventeen years ago, this is who I kind of still expect to see.




But I'll admit.  This is pretty great, too.


So many happy returns of the day, Kiddo!  

I absolutely love being your mom.






No comments:

Post a Comment