Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Dear MapMyRun:



I'm breaking up with you.

I know.  We've been together for four years.  During that time we've logged a decent amount of miles and burned a fair number of calories.

Our relationship has helped keep me sane during the ups and downs of my self-diagnosed life as a Drama Queen and part-time Narcissist.  Together we have tackled things I never thought were possible.  Like half-marathons, raising teenagers, midlife, marriage, and  moving to an entirely new state.

And I take total responsibility for my part in our demise.

I know that you were hurt when the Hal Higgdon Training App and I worked on that project last winter.  But I told you it was just business.  And I apologized for neglecting you.  Multiple times.  And I ended it with Hal and committed to putting you first.

I've even sat by patiently through several of your beyond frustrating "updates"--which I can only guess are the iPhone App equivalent of a bad dye job and a red sports car.

I swear, I look at you and I don't even see the same app that I fell in love with four years ago.

But I was willing to keep trying for the sake of all we've had together.

And then today happened.

The ultimate betrayal.

How could you cheat me out of an entire mile (up HILL, I might add) during our run this morning?  And try to cover it up by telling me it took me 18 minutes to run my first one?

To play on my insecurities like that--that my workout is never going to end...I'm getting nowhere...I'm never going to run a mile in under 8 minutes and 30 seconds...well.

It was the sign I needed to realize that it just isn't going to work between us any more.  We want different things.

I will always remember you fondly.  And I wish you all the best.

I have high hopes of someday finding an app that I can spend the rest of my life with.

Until then...

I noticed that Better Half's snazzy Garmin Running Watch has been gathering dust on the dresser for months.

Perhaps I'll see if it wants to join me for an easy two-miler.

Just as friends.

XOXO,

Casey




No comments:

Post a Comment