Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Framily Ties

Framily.

I first heard this word used back in March.  Sprint apparently launched some kind of new cell phone plan.

I didn't pay any attention at all to the plan, but I snatched the word.

It's the portmanteau that I've been looking for to describe this beautiful thing that I have.

So here's the definition according to Casey:

fram / i / ly (noun)  A combination of traditional relatives and dear close friends who behave like relatives that assist in making this crazy, harried, wonderful life saner, calmer, and even more wonderful.

And my prayer for you, Dear Reader, is that you have one of these that is as great as mine is.

Because I've got framily in spades.  Not EVEN kidding.

I could write an entire BOOK on my framily.  A chapter for each person.  Or for each life event where they've swooped in to help, encourage, support, or celebrate.  And it would rival War and Peace for length.

And since we're wrapping up our first school year in a brand-new state, it seems appropriate to give a special shout-out to these amazing people who've helped me to get through it.

These people:

Spent countless hours and elbow grease to help us get our house ready to sell.

Stayed at my house until midnight the night before I left cleaning out my fridge and helping me get two weeks' worth of clothing into a carry-on suitcase.

Took days off of work to drive us to the airport AND to drive 3 1/2 hours ONE WAY to see us off at said airport AND let their daughter skip school to ride along and wave "bon voyage" to mine.

Sent me text messages, Facebook posts, and made phone calls--telling me how much I was missed and how stupid California is.

Sent email messages telling me how great California is and that I should be glad I get to live here.

Rearrange their entire lives and open their homes when I decide that I need to come back "home."  Even if it's at the most hectic time of year.  They make time for coffee dates in the freezing cold on their much-earned and needed vacations.  They arrange schedules to meet for dinner or drinks when I come into town.

Patiently answerd my medical questions even though after nine months, we really should have a local doctor.

And the visitors!!!  Oh, my stars!  The VISITORS!!

See, when you say you're moving to a place like California, everyone says they'll come visit.  Of course they do.  Beaches, Disneyland, The Hollywood Stars Tour :)...

But life happens.  And let's face it.  Plane tickets to Los Angeles aren't cheap.

And yet...we've had visits from:

This guy back in September.  Okay. Fine.  Technically, he was here for work.  But he asked ME to be his "and guest" for the Netflix After Emmy Party!!  Seriously.  I'm still swooning nine months later.  My beautiful sister-in-law was unable to attend, so she sent her shoes instead. :)  I did my best to physically and metaphorically fill them, and we had loads of fun hanging out with Nathan and a few of his "buddies from the office."




These special ladies in October.  They arrived just in time to celebrate our first Halloween California-style and stayed for an entire week--which went by way too fast!  I have no words to describe what these two mean to me.  Because when I try to think of some, my eyes fill up with tears and I can't see the computer screen.  The pain of missing them has caused me to have to pull over in parking lots and ugly cry.  Not once, but on multiple occasions.  Their visit made California not only bearable, but fun for me--even if just for seven days.  



This crew--who trekked out to gather around our dining room table and help us celebrate our first Thanksgiving far away from "home."  It was a wonderful weekend!  


My sweet sis--who, incidentally, was the first person to carve out vacation and book tickets to see us in a house we didn't yet own in a state where we didn't yet technically live. :)  Tickets were purchased last July, and it was really hard to wait until January!  But so worth it!!  What a lovely week we had!  Everyone should have a sister like mine and an "Aunt Mac" like my kids have.  I'm totally scoping out the job situation, and it's my new mission to get her to relocate.  Which my mother will, I am certain, kill me for.  :)


Some of our favorite couples ever!!  Neither had very long to stay, but they both made a point of stopping in and staying for a bit.  It meant the world to get to share our new little corner of the world with them!



My dad and his wife--who win the "love those wings" award--for flying in and out of the closest and most convenient airport to my house.  :)  We totally repaid the favor by treating them to a beautiful view of California desert and an afternoon of geeking out at the Nixon Library.  Okay.  Fine.  We repaid my dad.  We still owe Sue.



This. Girl.  Yeah.  She's amazing.  She used HER birthday gift of round-trip tickets to California to surprise ME for my birthday.  I couldn't ask for a better oldest daughter.  When she's here, our home is complete.  When she's not, it just isn't.  And the selfies are way better!  


These four ladies--who made the impossible happen.  They cleared busy schedules, spent money that I'm certain the family budgets could have used other places, so we could all be together for the same weekend. A quick blurb about these women:  I met all of them in my early 20s.  We were in the "young married" small group at church. These ladies watched me "grow up" as a "grownup."  They've seen the good, the bad, the crazy, the ugly.  And they love me anyway.  Unconditionally.  They're the friends that I can go months without seeing or talking to, and yet when we get together, it's like no time has passed. They ask questions, voice opinions, and share stories--and listening to and chatting about all of those things make me a better person.  


So that brings us to the here and now.

But wait!

There's more!

My amazing mommy arrives in six days!! And she's staying for two weeks!! TWO!  She'll be here for her birthday!!  And J's dance recital.

I just got an email from my college roommate.  She just started this delicious new job with UNICEF (because she's really amazing like that) and even with no vacation to speak of, she's planning to fly out here and spend the 4th of July weekend with us!

My dear, sweet, amazing, strong, inspiring friend, Jen from Kansas City (who truly knows EVERYTHING about me and still wants to hang out--SMH) is bringing her kids out for a visit mid-July.  My kids + her kids = a wonderful friendship.

And I just got a Facebook message from one of Better Half's cousins.  He's bringing HIS crew out for a few days at the end of July!!  It is going to be so fun to share this place with people who have our same last name!  We haven't gotten to do that, yet.


Truly.  I have the most perfect framily for me.  I love each and every one of you.  

So take a moment if you will, Dear Reader--if you've managed to hang with me for all of this--and offer up thanks for the people in your life who belong to this amazing group.  

They make this beautiful life so much better.




















No comments:

Post a Comment