Monday, February 10, 2014

When In Rome

Now that I'm rocking this new career of "trophy wife," my biggest morning decisions revolve around whether to do the LA Times Crossword before or after I check the San Diego Zoo PandaCam, and what to wear for my 5 minute appearance out in public every morning when I drop the kids off at school.

I've always been a "When in Rome" kind of girl.

I want to fit in, blend in, look like a native.  My self-esteem is too fragile to buck the current clothing trends and fads.

It is why I have finally traded most of my boot cut jeans (which actually looked half-way decent on me) for "skinny" jeans (which do N.O.T, not, make ANYONE look skinny, by the way), and why I wore empire smocked shirts five years ago when that was a thing, even though they totally made me look like I was pregnant. Since I spent the entire decade of my twenties being pregnant or recovering from it, I swore I'd never voluntarily look that way again.  But women's fashion can be a harsh taskmaster.

So now I live in Southern California.  And in the few short months I've been here, I've learned some stuff. Like how to blend in and look like you've lived here in SoCal suburbia all of your life when you drop your kid off at school.

First step is always to check the weather.


Brrr! Winter.  And WINDY!  

Item 1:  A hat.  Because you lose like a bazillion percent of your body heat out of your head.  And it's kind of a long walk from that parking lot to the school. 



Item 2:  A scarf.  Partly because it keeps your neck warm, but mostly I think because scarves are a thing now.   Apparently you can wear one with anything.  Jacket, long sleeves, short sleeves, bathing suit, whatever you're wearing will look so much better with a scarf.



Item 3:  A jacket or a coat.  Of course.  Because it's winter.  And the wind chill caused by that gale blowing in at 2 mph is breezy for sure!  It's best if your jacket is down-filled with this label on it somewhere.  Totally the best brand for protecting one from these harsh elements.  But you could probably make do with something from Columbia.  As long as you also have a nice-looking scarf!


Item 4:  Boots.  Boots are apparently also a thing and likely have a whole lot to do with the resurrection of my nemesis that is skinny jeans.  I am ashamed to admit that I have worn these things more in the past two months than I did the ENTIRE two years I owned them in Kansas.  


Item 5:  Gloves, for sure.  Or, since wearing them makes using one's touchscreen difficult, it is considered an acceptable alternative to wrap one's hands around a steaming cup of this.


Item 6:  Sunglasses.  Always sunglasses. This one, I actually get. Because 8 am is Too. Early. for eye makeup. Honestly, had I worn these more when I was younger, I might not have that indention between my eyebrows that gives the impression that I am permanently teed off. 


So much for worrying that our winter wear would just sit, unused and taking up precious space out here. 


  




1 comment:

  1. So I should pack the coat, boots, and all other "non essentials" that my husband thinks I'm ridiculous for choosing to keep?

    ReplyDelete