Saturday, March 10, 2012

Happy Birthday

Dear Amazing Oldest Daughter,

I cannot believe it.  Today we celebrated your seventeenth birthday.  Seventeen!  In 365 short days, you will begin your road through adulthood.  And on this, your last "childhood" birthday, I've thought many times about that day--so long and so short--ago.  And where we are today.

In no particular order--

Seventeen years ago, I was finishing my last semester of college.  Today, I watch the college mail pile up on your desk and I listen to you as you share your college plans with people.  I can hear the excitement in your voice as you talk about it.

Seventeen years ago, I was sucking ice chips and panting through contractions  Today, we sipped lattes, sung to the radio, laughed, and had fun with friends.

Seventeen years ago, everyone in the hospital immediately commented on your amazing eyes.  Today people are still taken with your beautiful kaleidoscope eyes.


Seventeen years ago, your length was measured three times to make sure 24 1/4 inches was indeed correct.  I knew it was--I'd felt your feet under my ribs for three months!  Today, I know that you were using those beautiful dancing feet of yours even in utero.

Seventeen years ago, family and dear friends were anxiously awaiting your long overdue arrival.  Today, these same people who sat for hours in the waiting room so they could be among the first people to welcome you to Earth are among your biggest fans and your most ardent supporters.

Seventeen years ago, I had no idea what I was doing when they handed you to me.  I had never been a mother before.  Today, I still have no idea what I'm doing.  I'm a first-time mom with everything you do.  And you have been amazingly understanding about it.

Seventeen years ago, I held you in my arms and I was sure it would be an eternity before you'd even be old enough to go to kindergarten.  Today, I wonder how time got away from me and how on earth you grew up so fast and if I could have done something to slow it down some.

Seventeen years ago, I was awed by the tiny person you were.  I wondered what your life would be like...the kind of personality you'd have, what your talents and gifts would be.  Today, I am still constantly amazed by the child you were, the young lady you are, and the woman you are becoming.  And I know it isn't always easy.  Hang in there.

Seventeen years ago, you and I went through quite a physical ordeal to bring us to the place where you call me "mother" and I call you "daughter."  Today,  we navigate through the end of your teenage years to bring us to a place where hopefully, we will call each other "friend."

Seventeen years ago, a nurse placed you in my arms for the first time.  I looked at you and I remember thinking, I have never in my life seen anyone so beautiful  And I have never in my life been so completely in love like this.  Tonight, as I gave you one last hug and told you "happy birthday" one last time, I thought: I have never in my life seen anyone so beautiful.  And I have never in my life been so completely in love like this.


Happy, happy seventeenth, my dear!  And here's to the next three hundred sixty five days!










Love,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. Wow...17 and just a beautiful as ever. You are definitely right about her eyes! By the way...That cake looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a testimony to how fast those 17 years have flown by.....one your last post (with your youngest sitting at the table, my husband thought it was your oldest child. Oh MY. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete